Tuesday, May 26, 2015
From Goodreads: "This is the story of Desperaux Tilling, a mouse in love with music, stories, and a princess named Pea. It is also the story of Miggery Sow, a slow-witted serving girl with a simple, impossible wish. These characters are about to embark on a journey that will lead them down into a horrible dungeon, up into a glittering castle, and ultimately, into each other's lives."
This will be the last Book Club meeting of the year, and all are welcome!
Wednesday, May 20, 2015
- No matter what the copyright date of the website is, check the references and sources listed for the information.
- The website might have been updated recently, but that doesn't mean that the sources are current.
- If there are no sources, then not only do you have no idea how old the information is, you also have no idea where it came from.
- Use search operators like site:.gov or site:.orgto limit your search on Google.
- Figure out what organizations keep statistics on your topic, and then search their websites. Go straight to the source.
- Here are a few sites from the National Institutes of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to get you started if you're stuck:
- NIH: http://www.nih.gov/
- NIH's MedlinePlus Health Topics: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/healthtopics.html
- CDC's National Center for Health Statistics: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/
- CDC's FastStats: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/Default.htm
- CDC's Data & Statistics by Topic: http://www.cdc.gov/DataStatistics/
- Scroll down for recent Uxbridge statistics from the 2011 Youth Risk Behavior Survey: https://sites.google.com/a/uxbridge.k12.ma.us/the-uxbridge-high-school/student-activities/the-coalition-for-a-community-of-caring
Tuesday, May 12, 2015
Nominated by teens, voted on by teens - check out the 24 nominees for the Teens' Top Ten 2015 book list. Start reading now - voting for the Top Ten starts on August 15! If you like to tweet, tumbl, or Instagram as you read, use #ttt15 to connect with everyone else who's reading and talking about these books!
Thursday, May 7, 2015
Every summer, the Audiobook Sync program gives away 2 audiobook downloads every week throughout the summer. Each week, a young adult and classic title with similar themes are offered as free downloads. As long as you download those titles during the week they're offered, they're yours to keep. Audiobooks can be downloaded directly to your smartphone or iPad using the OverDrive app.
Sync kicks off for the year on Thursday, May 7, with downloads of Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl and Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. See the Sync website for the benefits of listening to audiobooks and a full list of the books that will be given away this summer.
If you try audiobooks through Sync, like them, and want more, never fear. Through OverDrive, you can borrow audiobooks and eBooks directly to your devices using your C/W MARS library card from the Uxbridge Free Public Library or your BPL eCard. Talk to Ms. C or visit these tutorials for help setting up OverDrive or a BPL eCard.